ACU Refugee Scholarship
About this scholarship
Established in 2016, this scholarship supports students who are commencing undergraduate studies at ACU and; have recently exited an Australian high school; and who have come to Australia as an Unaccompanied Minor; or are on a Temporary Protection Visa seeking asylum; and are not eligible for Commonwealth supported places.
This scholarship will cover:
- The full cost of your tuition fees for the remainder of your course.
- The Student Services and Amenities Fees.
- Overseas student health cover (in the absence of access to Medicare).
Future or Commencing Students
This scholarship is open to those who meet all of the following criteria:
- Citizenship: granted a Temporary Protection Visa, Bridging Visa A or E, Safe Haven Enterprise Visa, Temporary Humanitarian Stay visa (Subclass 449) and Temporary Humanitarian Concern visa (Subclass 786).
- Have a connection with an ACU partner or community organisation who will act as your sponsor and can provide a written reference. *
- Course: any ACU undergraduate degree
- Campus: any
- Study load: full-time (exemptions can apply in special circumstances)
- Have received an offer to study at ACU as an international student in Semester 1 2023.
* The sponsor is expected to assist the student to find work or other funding to support themselves while at university. ACU will seek to work with this sponsor to support the student throughout their course.
Applicants will be required to provide the following as part of the application:
- A written statement of approximately 200 words outlining:
- why you are undertaking an ACU degree.
- how this scholarship could financially support you whilst studying.
- A letter of recommendation from the ACU partner or community organisation who will act as your sponsor. Additional personal or character letters of recommendation are welcome (up to 2 optional). Shortlisted applicants’ references may be contacted
- Certified copy of passport
- Certified copy of visa
- Certified copy of Immicard (ID) (if available)
- Year and name of School where Year 12 studies were undertaken
- A copy of your ACU Offer.
Applications are assessed on the strength of the following criteria:
- Written statement
- Letter of recommendation from community sponsor
- Interview (shortlisted applicants, only if necessary)
Applicants will be shortlisted by the Scholarships Office. Those shortlisted may be required to attend an interview with a selection panel.
To remain eligible for scholarship payments are required to maintain the following:
- Minimum pass grade for 50% of units attempted
- Study load: full-time
- Enrolment in the same course under which the scholarship was received.
Exceptional circumstances can be taken into consideration if any of the ongoing eligibility requirements are not met.
It is also the recipient’s responsibility to notify ACU immediately should their visa status change or should they be granted any other category of visa. A recipient may be asked periodically to show proof that their visa status has not changed.