ACU Refugee Scholarship
Applications are closed - please check again at a later date, as scholarship and application details are confirmed on an ongoing basis.
About this scholarship
Established in 2016, this scholarship supports students who are commencing undergraduate studies at ACU; have exited an Australian high school; and who have come to Australia as an Unaccompanied Minor or are on a Temporary Protection Visa seeking asylum. These students are not eligible for Commonwealth supported places.
This scholarship will cover:
- The full cost of your tuition fees for the remainder of your course.
- The Student Services and Amenities Fees.
- Overseas student health cover (in the absence of access to Medicare).
This scholarship is open to commencing students who meet all the following criteria:
- Citizenship: granted a Temporary Protection Visa, Bridging Visa A or E or a Safe Haven Enterprise Visa.
- Have a connection with an ACU partner or community organisation who will act as your sponsor and can provide a written reference.*
- Course: any ACU undergraduate degree
- Campus: any (on campus)
- Study load: full-time (exemptions can apply in special circumstances)
* The sponsor is expected to assist the student to find work or other funding to support themselves while at university. ACU will seek to work with this sponsor to support the student throughout their course.
Applicants will be required to provide the following as part of the application:
- A written statement of approximately 200 words outlining:
- why you are undertaking an ACU degree.
- how this scholarship could financially support you whilst studying.
- A written reference from the ACU partner or community organisation who will act as your sponsor. Additional personal or character references are welcome (up to 2 optional). Shortlisted applicants’ references may be contacted
- Certified copy of passport
- Certified copy of visa
- Certified copy of Immicard (ID)
- Year and name of School where Year 12 studies were undertaken
Applications are assessed on the strength of the following criteria:
- Written statement
- Written reference
- Interview (shortlisted applicants, only if necessary)
- In 2022, preference will be given to those who are enrolled:
- at ACU’s Blacktown campus
- in a three-year course
Applicants will be shortlisted by the Scholarships Office. Those shortlisted may be required to attend an interview with a selection panel.
To remain eligible for scholarship payments are required to maintain the following:
- Minimum pass grade for 50% of units attempted
- Study load: full-time
- Enrolment in the same course under which the scholarship was received.
Exceptional circumstances can be taken into consideration if any of the ongoing eligibility requirements are not met.
It is also the recipient’s responsibility to notify ACU immediately should their visa status change or should they be granted any other category of visa. A recipient may be asked periodically to show proof that their visa status has not changed.