Edmund Rice Education Scholarship
About this scholarship
Blessed Edmund Ignatius Rice was a Roman Catholic missionary and educationalist. Edmund was the founder of two religious institutes of religious brothers: The Congregation of Christian Brothers and the Presentation Brothers. Edmund spent much time working to help many people who suffered poverty and injustice. He recognised that education was the means to break the cycle of poverty and to teach all children the love of God. As a dedication to continue the vision and legacy of Edmund Rice and the Christian Brothers, a fundraising campaign was initiated in 2011 by Br Dan Stewart, and as a result, a scholarship in perpetuity was established.
- This scholarship is valued at $4,500, to be paid in one lump sum
- There is one scholarship available.
Future or Commencing Students
This scholarship is open to commencing students who meet all of the following criteria, as of the scholarship application closing date:
- Commencing a new ACU course in Semester 1, 2024
- Citizenship: domestic
- Faculty: Education and Arts
- Course: any ACU undergraduate Education degree
- Required study load: full time
- Financial hardship
- Contribution to community service and/or social justice activities
Applicants will be required to provide the following as part of the application:
- written statement of 300 words outlining:
- how your financial hardship has impacted on your ability to study, and any other barriers you have faced in pursuing your education
- how this scholarship will assist you to contribute to your local/professional community in accordance with the spirit of Edmund Rice
- your commitment to the ACU's Mission and Values
- Evidence of your contribution to community service and social justice
- Evidence of your financial need
- Most recent Tax Assessment Notice OR
- Centrelink Income Statement OR
- the most recent 60 days of bank transactions AND pay slips from the last 6 weeks
Applications are assessed based on the strength of the following criteria:
- Evidence of contribution to community service
- Commitment to the ACU Mission and Values
- Financial need
Recipients will be selected by the Scholarships Office.
Recipients will be requested to submit an Impact Statement for the donor explaining how the scholarship has assisted them. This should be submitted to the ACU Scholarships Office no later than 1 October in the year the scholarship is awarded.